Write a 1500 – 2000 word essay about the history of a social problem or issue.
You are required to use at least three academic, peer-reviewed sources. Be sure to cite your sources in-text and in a “references” section at the end of your paper (use MLA or APA style formatting).
Quality papers will discuss:
- The history of prevalence (how many people have been affected over time)
- The history of discourse (how discussion of the issue has evolved over time)
- The history of social movements that have attempted to address the issue
- The history of social policies that have attempted to address the issue
- Sociological theories about the causes and consequences of the issue.
PSLO 6: The goal of the Social/Behavioral Sciences requirement is (a) to develop in the student an understanding of self and world by examining the content and processes used by social and behavioral sciences to discover, describe, explain, and predict human behavior and social systems; (b) to enhance knowledge of social and cultural institutions and the values of this society and other societies and cultures in the world; and (c) to understand the interdependent nature of the individual, family, and society in shaping human behavior and determining quality of life.