For Essay Three, pick a specific stereotype.
With this stereotype in mind, consider the following questions:
- Is the media responsible for negative stereotypes? Which form of media most presents these ideas? Who is responsible?
- How much responsibility should be placed on the media for the spread of the negative labels? How much is personal responsibility?
- From where do these stereotypes originate? Are they based in truth? Have they stayed true, worsened, or are these ideas obsolete? Why are they still prevalent in popular entertainment? What/who keeps them alive?
- Do these images harm people? Do they only harm the people at whom they are aimed, the people who have these ideas, or all people?
- What have been the effects of these negative stereotypes? Are there any?
- What is likely to happen with the continuation of these ideas? Where is society headed?
In the introduction, open with an example of this stereotype’s portrayal in some type of media.
EX: The portrayal of women (housewives) as shallow and sex-starved on ABC’s Desperate Housewives or The Bachelor and its depiction of what an ideal mate would be: corn-fed white boy with rock hard abs who likes to party.
In the conclusion, discuss possible solutions to this problem. These can be your own, or from one of the sources you find.
In addition to a minimum of two (2) references from texts used in this unit, two (2) references from outside sources will also be used. These outside sources must be from ChSCC’s databases. No websites are allowed.
Image credit to www.theadvocatesforhumanrights.org