Some teachers will want you to Select a Company from the Dow 30.
Note the ticker symbol for your company (see box below).
1. Explore your company's website.
However, the website will provide only ONE point of view
. . . the view the company WANTS you to see.
Review the "Investor Relations" or "Shareholders" webpage.
Look for "Annual Report" or the company's "10K" report.
Within these reports, be sure to read:
*"Management's Discussion & Analysis"
2. Obtain the Company Dossier for your company.
The dossier, a collection of documents, is provided by the LexisNexis Academic database.
Company names can be tough to search.
Knowing your company's ticker symbol early in the project will ease the research process.
What Is a Ticker Symbol?
- A letter or group of letters selected by each publicly-traded company
E.g. Chattem's ticker symbol is CHTT.
- Unique to each company
Symbol will retrieve information about your specific company and not another one with a similar name.
- Facilitates trade of company's stock by eliminating confusion between similar names
- Sometimes referred to as "stock symbol"
Use the ticker symbol of companies when this search option is available.