Students write a critical analysis of two articles from professional nursing journals, one critique is related to an ethical-legal issue, the other a manager of care concept. The critique also must describe how the issue/concept effects the standards of professional nursing practice.
1. Locate and read an appropriate article.
Articles for the critiques must be selected from current (within the last three years) NURSING journals.
See list of approved journals on right.
Follow the steps under the "CINAHL" database tab above.
A copy of the SEARCH, not the article, must be submitted with the article critique.
2. Prepare the article critique.
Article critiques must be typed and approximately one-half of a page in length. The critique should be brief and to the point. See examples included in the syllabus.
Content of the article critique must include:
- Search. Must include the key words that were entered for the search AND a list of articles obtained (no more than one page), including the article you selected for the critique. (2 points)
- Bibliographic citation. APA bibliographic format must be used. (2 points)
Library's APA Citation Guide
- Summary of the article. A BRIEF (1-2 sentence) summary of key points of the article. Describe how this article is a manager of care topic or an ethical-legal issue. (2 points)
- Critique of the article. A BRIEF evaluation of the quality of the article, including its strengths and weaknesses. Discuss the implications of what you read on your nursing practice. Would you recommend this article for others to read? (2 points)
423.697.4436 Reference Desk